Tag: renew social security benefits

How to Reinstate Your SSDI

How to Reinstate Your SSDI

reinstate ssdi
Want to know more about how to reinstate SSDI? Contact SSDA USA today!

Social Security can be confusing, especially when you lose and regain your benefits. Not to worry, though! The process to reinstate SSDI – or other Social Security benefits – is much easier than you think. The process is not as difficult as your initial application for Social Security. Let our attorneys from SSDA explain to you how it works.

What is Expedited Reinstatement?

Expedited Reinstatement (EXR) is the process by which you apply to resume your SSDI (or SSI) benefits after having been disqualified for Social Security. This usually occurs when people work above the Substantial Gains Activity (SGA) limit for a period of time and then stop working or making as much.

If you started working above the SGA limit (which is $1,220 for most people, but $2,040 specifically for blind people), the Social Security Administration gave you a nine-month trial work period. If you continued to earn above the SGA after this, your SSDI payments stopped.

What Do I Need to Do?

It is likely you qualify for EXR if you meet the following conditions.

  •         Your Social Security payments stopped because you were making too much money after you returned to work
  •         You submitted your EXR application no later than five years after your benefits stopped
  •         You stopped working because of a condition that is the same as or closely related to the one you were receiving benefits for
  •         Your condition has not seen a medical improvement

If you meet these requirements, apply for EXR right away. The SSA is likely to give you provisional benefits for up to 6 months while they review your case. Provisional benefits are usually approximately the same amount as your previous SSDI or SSI benefits, and they usually don’t need to be paid back, even if your EXR claim is denied. Provisional benefits may stop if 1) You receive a decision regarding your EXR, 2) You engage in SGA, or you 3) Reach the full retirement age (usually around age 67).

What If I Get Denied?

If you get denied, don’t lose hope! You can still appeal the decision. Once you get your denial letter, you have 60 days to file a Request for Reconsideration. Disability Determination Services (DDS) will look over any new information you give them and make sure their ruling was correct. If your Request for Consideration is denied, the next step is to file (again, within 60 days) a request for a hearing with an administrative law judge. If you disagree with the judge’s decision, you must ask the Appeal’s Council to review the judge’s ruling. For further questions, contact Social Security Disability Advocates.

Still Don’t Know How to Reinstate SSDI?

Contact us, Social Security Disability Advocates, today! We work hard for you, and we happily answer all your questions. You can reach us anytime at 602-952-3200. Alternatively, you can contact us online or feel free to check out our LiveChat feature on our website. Don’t keep your questions to yourself. Contact Social Security Disability Advocates today!

This is attorney advertising. SSDA, LLC is a group of attorneys that pursues claims for Social Security Disability benefits on behalf of its clients against the Social Security Administration. SSDA, LLC is in no way a part of the Social Security Administration. Further, the information on this blog is for general information purposes only. Nothing herein should be taken as legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, a representative-client relationship.