What You Need to Know About SSDA Benefits and College Age Children

What You Need to Know About SSDA Benefits and College Age Children

SSDA Benefits - College Age Children Eligibility

Children are generally eligible to receive Social Security disability, retirement or survivor’s benefits depending on the eligibility of their parents. However, this eligibility could change for beneficiaries who are about to turn 18. If this is the case for you, then you’re probably curious about whether or not you can receive Social Security disability college benefits.

Social Security Benefits for Children

If a parent is receiving disability benefits, retirement benefits or has recently passed away, then their children may be entitled to child’s benefits based on the parent’s earnings record (in order to qualify for Social Security benefits in general, one must have accumulated the proper amount of work credits, which are earned through paying Social Security taxes). There are requirements that a child must meet in order to collect benefits. This following criteria stems from a parent’s earning records:

  • First, the child is the biological child of the insured person.
  • Second, the child is dependent on the insured.
  • Third, the child remains unmarried.
  • Finally, the child is under the age of 18 or is a full-time student still in school.

Children who qualify for child’s benefits will be eligible to receive monthly benefits upwards of 50 percent of their disabled parent’s worker’s benefit. Although this is subject to the family maximum.

Qualifying for Social Security Disability College Benefits

Your benefits will cease once you turn 18 or you graduate from high school. However, if you have a disability, then you may continue to receive Social Security disability benefits. As long as you are unmarried and became disabled before the age of 22, then you can continue to receive Social Security disability benefits. This eligibility exists for the rest of your life under the earnings records of your parents.

Of course, you will have to prove that you remain disabled. Also, that your disability prevents you from being able to work. In addition, you’ll have to meet the adult definition of disability as established by the SSA. Especially, upon medical review of your condition. Which occurs every couple of years. Your payment amounts will continue to be based on the entitled benefit of your parents. Thus, your benefits will continue as child benefits even as an adult.

Losing Your Social Security Disability College Benefits

The Social Security Administration encourages disabled children to go to college. Which is why doing so typically won’t affect your benefits as long as you met the previously mentioned eligibility requirements. However, in some very specific cases, going to college could endanger your eligibility. The following are three situations in which you could lose your Social Security disability college benefits:

  • Your disability should prevent you from going to school. If you suffer from a disability that should technically prevent you from being able to attend classes, then you’ll have to make a strong case for being able to do so. For instance, social anxiety or PTSD.
  • Your degree should not be helpful considering your disability. For example, if you have a serious disability that causes seizures, then going to school to become a surgeon isn’t going to make sense. This will result in the Social Security Administration questioning your disability.
  • Lastly, school work is comparable to real work.  Do all of your classes, labs, homework and more add up to over 30 hours of work a week? If so, the Social Security Administration may assume that your disability won’t prevent you from seeking full-time work.

These are a few things you’ll want to know about Social Security disability college benefits. Schedule a free consultation at Social Security Disability Advocates USA for more advice concerning Social Security Disability benefits by calling us at (602) 952-3200 today.

The information on this blog is for general information purposes only. Nothing herein should be taken as legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute a representative-client relationship.

Comments are closed.